The Code of Practice is a guide to the safe and effective use of portable ladders and stepladders, useful for any ladder users or specifiers. It is available for just £5 from our online shop.
The code includes sections on:
- Employer and user responsibilities
- The Work at Height Regulations (WAHR)
- Risk management
- Ladder standards and classification
- User guide
- Introduction to safe use of ladders and steps
- Taking care of a ladder
- Current best practice
- Stability, and footing the ladder
- Using roof ladders
Be a step ahead
The Code of Practice contains a few tips so that ladder users can ensure they are a step ahead:
- Steps to eliminate or minimise risk
- Organising and planning work properly
- Confirming the site is suitable for the task
- Checking that the task’s duration is suitable
- Selecting the correct equipment
- Ensuring the people carrying out the work are competent in the use of ladders
Although a standalone document for users, employers, and health and safety professionals, the Code of Practice is not intended to replace training. It is a supplementary resource for delegates who have attended Ladder Association training courses.
The Ladder Association has a nationally accredited training scheme for users, inspectors, supervisors and managers which can only be obtained through Ladder Association approved training centres.