Whether self-employed or working for a Ladder Association member, instructor training lets you start training people in safe ladder use and management.
To be trained to be a Ladder Association instructor, you must meet these criteria:
- Your company/employer must be an existing Ladder Association accredited centre or going through the process of becoming an accredited centre. Click here to access the online membership application.
- If you intend to be a freelance instructor (self-employed individual), providing service to approved Ladder Association Training Centre(s); you must first become a member of the Ladder Association. Please click here to complete an online application.
- All candidates must have completed Ladder Association User and Inspection courses and provide evidence of twelve months’ experience. Instructor candidate are assumed to have previous experience and knowledge of ladders, to be conversant with the contents of the Ladder Association standard training course and Operators’ Code of Practice, and to have undertaken prior study of these and related regulations. Ladder Association instructor training is not intended for candidates with little or no experience.
Training and assessment will be in four key skill areas which are modular, followed by a mandatory mentoring module, in which the novice Instructor will be under the mentorship and tutelage of a Lead Instructor. The modules are as follows:
Instructional Techniques – a two day module designed to conform to the requirements of Lifelong Learning UK’s (formerly FENTO) standards for teaching and supported learning in further education. £600 + VAT
Please click here for exemption information
Health & Safety – a one day module designed to ensure delegates are fully conversant with legislation and regulations which impact on the safe use of mobile access towers, including the implementation of the Temporary Work at Height Directive £300 + VAT
Please click here for exemption information
Ladder Industry Specific – a one day module self-accredited by the Ladder Association designed to ensure delegates are fully conversant and knowledgeable of best practice for ladders and stepladders and their applications. £300 + VAT
Ladder Association Training Scheme – a half day module to introduce the Ladder Association’s Training Scheme procedures and to equip the delegate to operate within its national standards for training delivery. £300 + VAT
Mentored Module – a one day basic mentoring programme comprised of two sessions, in which the novice instructor will deliver a complete Ladder Association User and Inspection course. All sessions will be undertaken under the mentorship and tutelage of a Ladder Association Lead Instructor. £500 + VAT
[Further mentoring may be necessary at the end of the basic module, at which time the novice instructor will have the opportunity to complete the extended programme under the direction of an alternative Lead Instructor, if they so wish]
On successful completion of the mentored module, the novice instructor will be approved as a Ladder Association Instructor.
The total cost for all five modules is £2,000 + VAT payable in advance of attendance. Please note that accommodation is not included in the price.
Exemptions may be granted under some circumstances for Modules 1 & 2. In order to gain exemption, you must be able to satisfy the Ladder Association that you can produce evidence of prior learning in Instructional Techniques and Health & Safety.
Module 1: Instructional Techniques – to gain exemption from this module we would require evidence of a recognised Instructional Techniques qualification. Please see below for our currently accepted recognised certification:
- City & Guilds Instructors/teaching related certification
- Ed. or similar Degree
- RTITB Instructional Techniques
- CITB Instructional Techniques
- IPAF Instructional Techniques
- ITSSAR Approved Instructional Techniques programmes
- CIPD Professional Training programmes
Module 2: Health and Safety – to gain exemption from this module we would require evidence of a recognised Health and Safety Qualification which is equivalent to a NEBOSH National General Certificate.
These lists are not exhaustive and if you have attended an Instructional Techniques course or Health & Safety course that is not listed above please send us evidence of your certificate and a course synopsis along with your application. This will be reviewed by our Training Manager.
Please note: If evidence of prior learning is not provided, we will automatically book you on to our Instructional Techniques and Health & Safety course.
Mandatory Modules – modules that every candidate must successfully attend are as follows:
- Ladder Association Manufacturers/Industry Specific
- Ladder Association Administration
- Mentored Module
How to book
Instructor courses are conducted using Ladder Association Training Members’ venues in various locations across the country. To book onto the course, simply complete the Application for Registration as an Approved Instructor form, available for download here [link].
Complete for each candidate and please email, including any support documents, to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to 0845 260 1049. The submitted paperwork will then be reviewed by the Training Scheme Manager.
On successful completion of the mandatory training modules required by the Ladder Association instructor criteria, a mentor will be nominated for you from the Lead Instructor Mentor Regional Distribution list. There are mentoring session(s) to complete. At each session the mentor will observe and objectively assess the novice instructor’s delivery of the training and record findings on the novice instructor theory and practical mentoring sheets.
There are criteria in place for instructors who do not successfully complete the mentoring session but these will be explained to you upon application.
To check the availability of course dates and venues please either use our enquiry form or call us on 0845 260 1048.